We need to learn to be kids again – Telehealth Solutions

I posted this video after I came across one of my favorite articles. Basically in this article, the authors found that people (51-80 yo) who could perform this movement (sit to rise) from the floor without losing balance or needing support tended to live longer (de Brito et al. 2012). Such a simple test! 




When I see patients I am focused specifically on how they move in the clinic. I watch how they get on and off of the table, take their shoes on/off, etc. To me, these are fundamental and essential survival skills.
From there they build up strength in their neck and back muscles to get to their hands and knees. As they build up hip and shoulder muscles they start to crawl. Eventually they can stand and start moving their legs in a walking motion. Voila! That’s it! But is it that simple? 

Falls in an aging adult become very serious and in some cases deadly. It’s a known fact that mortality increases dramatically after an adult suffers a fall related hip fracture. Estimates of death within the first year after hip fracture range between 14-58%.
Read More


Comments